Plastic Sisters of Battle were released late last year to much fanfare and excitement. We were fortunate enough to get one of the army boxed sets, but aside from assembling a few for scale comparisons, have not had the chance to do much with them yet. Rather than start with a lengthy conversion, we decided to try painting one quickly, primarily with contrast paints. We have always been fond of the deep red of the Order of the Bloody Rose, and decide to paint one of the sisters in that scheme.
|Flesh Tearers Red Contrast paint was a great starting point for painting her armor, but a few additional highlights make all of the difference.|
Having recently painted
a few miniatures from Ana Polanscak’s Tabletop Fantasy Miniatures Kickstarter
, which featured a predominantly red color scheme, I felt that knowledge could easily be translated to a Sister from the Order of the Bloody Rose. Her armor was painted with a 1:1 mix of Flesh Tearers Red and Contrast medium. This created a good starting point, blocking in the highlights and shadows. To create more contrast, I went back and added undiluted Flesh Tearer Red to the recesses and any areas that I wanted darker. I then mixed a small amount of Black Templar contrast paint in with Flesh Tearers Red and diluted it heavily with water, creating a glaze. I applied this in thin layers to further darken areas. Finally, I did a few edge highlights on the armor, starting with Mephiston Red, followed by Evil Sunz Scarlet. Her eye lens were painted white, followed by a single coat Iyanden Yellow contrast paint. The silver details were painted with Vallejo Model Metallic Air Gunmetal (71.072), followed by a light wash with Nuln Oil. I then highlighted it with Vallejo Model Metallic Air Steel (71.065).
Her robes were painted with a coat of Black Templar contrast paint, followed by Lahmian Medium to reduce the shine. Some of the edges were then highlighted with a light grey. The underside of the Robes were painted with a mixture of Apothecary White and Skeleton Horde contrast paints. Since some of these areas were rather large and flat, the contrast paint resulted in visible brush strokes. I minimized this by dry-brushing/stippling light colors like Citadel Ushabti Bone and Screaming Skull. I then lightly glazed the entire surface with Skeleton Horde contrast paint, diluted substantially in water, to unify and reduce the harsh stippling. Finally, her base was painted following Darren Latham’s final YouTube video
, detailing how he painted the base for his Lord of Blights. This took advantage of sporadically applying various heavily diluted contrast paints, primarily Black Templar and Wyldwood, in areas, to provide color modulation to the grey stone.
|The Order of the Crimson Rose faces off against some bone constructs.|
I am pleased with how the first Sister turned out, and starting to paint the next, with the goal of painting a small squad. Perhaps a Kill Team is in order? At this point, I am not sure, but I am having fun painting them, and will see where it takes me! Any comments or suggestions are welcome!
- Eric Wier
Very nice indeed!ReplyDelete
Thanks! I am pretty excited to paint a few more! Hopefully I can push myself to do it...Delete
Grea paint job! I have those minis from Ana Polanscak in my painting queue - they have so much character!ReplyDelete
Thank you! The model was really fun to paint, as were Ana's! I am sure you will enjoy painting them too!Delete
Nice job, I'm in the process of deciding on a new colour scheme for the latest models, seeing as my old metal ones look kinda goofy compared to the new ones. Thinking red all the way.ReplyDelete
Also, that classic Chaos sorceror is terrific, wishing I had collected them all when I had the chance.
Thanks! I agree that red looks great on the Sister of Battle models! I really like a lot of the old classic sorcerer models. I got this one on ebay, having also missed the opportunity to get them easily.Delete