|By the manner of their deaths we shall know them.|
The model was very well received, partially owing to its reimagining of the old concepts (the bulbous nature of it really harkens back to the original Rogue Trader design) and the model’s insane level of poseability (something largely unseen in Games Workshops larger models). This high degree of poseability comes at a high cost however. Aside from being fairly difficult to assemble, the model can very easily adopt an awkward pose despite one’s best intentions. Before long, the grim defender of humanity can transform into a caricature of Space Marine might (maybe just skipping along or attempting some acrobatic marvel).
Having seen far too many Contemptors fall into this category, looking as if they are tumbling backwards or performing incredible feats of acrobatics bridging on absurdity, I knew I needed to approach the posing of mine with care. And while this is a tenant that I try to be follow with all models, I felt this one in particular required added vigilance.
To begin, I wanted to establish a strong mental image of the character to help guide my hand. I eventually settled on trying to capture the Contemptor stalking through the corridors of a space hulk, exterminating any foul alien menace with gouts of fire (likely supported by fellow brethren donning terminator armor).
Concept in mind, I went about washing the components of the kit and cleaning them for assembly. Despite receiving a surprisingly nice cast of the model, I still spent a considerable amount of time fixing small blemishes with greenstuff. With the assembly, I opted to build the model from the base upward, starting with a Tech-Deck base from Dragon Forge design (highly recommended, great variety and design). Of the Tech-Deck bases they have available, I chose one that has a nice elevation change. This allowed me to position the Contemptor stepping downward, adding depth and perspective to the model while taking advantage of the poseability of the kit. After deciding on the placement of the feet (remember to have them largely facing the direction of movement!) I pinned each on the base via pin-vise for added stability. Next I slowly worked upward, dry-fitting each piece, checking and double checking the pose, and finally gluing the sections in place.
|Tech-Deck - 60 mm Version 2|
In terms of magnet placement, the model fortunately has a number of suitable places. Each of the different weapons share the same shoulder piece, making the circular surface under the shoulder an ideal magnet location. After gluing the first magnet on the underside of the shoulder I then went to work inserting the magnets in the arm joints of several of the weapon options for the model. This ended up being by far the most challenging and time consuming aspect of the building process. To insert the magnets I scraped out a circular cavity in the arm just large enough for the magnet using an x-acto knife. I experimented with a number of different magnets, but the ones I ended up using were disc shaped neodymium magnets with the dimensions of 1/4”x 1/32”.
|Placement of magnet under the shoulder guard.|
|Scraping out the cavities for the magnets was tricky, now for the autocannon...|
|Aligned for war!|
|Suffer not the unclean to live!|