|It's understood, we'll do or die.|
A few weeks ago, we showed our progress on our remnants of the Imperial Army defending the Thorn Moons. Since then, I have disassembled all of the models and built a few more weapons and sculpted some arms, preparing to create a silicone mold. I am pleased to say that I made the first mold for the guard, and it was quite successful! I wanted to show you a few pictures of the resulting mold and the resin casts it produces.
|The two part mold turned out well, only requiring the cutting of a few additional gates. The mold was made using Smooth-On Oomoo 30 rubber from Smooth-On.|
|The torsos and legs cast excellently, retaining all the detail that I added via green stuff. The casts were made using Smooth-Cast 300 plastic from Smooth-On.|
|I was a little concerned that some of the smaller details like the picatinny rails might not cast well, but I am happy to report that they worked well.|
|My first attempt at creating a model with the casted parts. I still need to add additional pouches and gear, but I am happy with the model.|
|I modified his mask to make it look more like a gas mask and to distance it from the Ruststalker one.|
Overall, I am really happy with the first mold. It confirmed that my technique is suitable for smaller and more delicate models, and makes it clear that I will be able to use similar molds to dramatically reduce the workload to build a small army of guard to defend the Thorn Moons. Although the first mold was good, I plan to revise it a little to improve the casting process, as well as add some extra bodies and accessories. Having said this, I am extremely excited to finally get beyond this preliminary stage and actually finally start assembling and eventually painting some of the models!